Bongao Youth People

MSU-TCTO Golden Batch’s Summa Cum Laude: Life is a journey, not a race

7/28/2022 07:39:00 PMFJ HAMJA

(From left: MSU-TCTO Chancellor, Ms. Nuruddin and her parents)

The Mindanao State University Tawi-Tawi College of Technology and Oceanography (MSU-TCTO) produced its first female Summa Cum Laude after fifty years of delivering quality education in the Southern Philippines. 

Ms. Nahdiyya Nuruddin, who spent her academic studies in MSU-TCTO since kindergarten. She finished her kindergarten and elementary education at MSU-TCTO Laboratory Elementary School (LES), her junior high school at MSU-TCTO Science High School, pursued Humanities and Social Sciences (HUMSS) at MSU-TCTO Senior High School as Class Valedictorian, obtained a Bachelor of Secondary Education major in English (BSEd English) during the MSU-TCTOs 50th Commencement Exercises, and graduated as Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors) with a grade point average (GPA) of 1.196. She was the Class Marshal of her batch and received a cash gift of P30,000 from her University aside from the awards as Summa Cum Laude and Outstanding Pre-Service Teacher of the College of Education. Ms. Nuruddin is the 3rd Summa Cum Laude after Basil V. Sali (CAS, 2004) and Aljemedin Jaudinez (CoEd, 2015). She is the first Summa Cum Laude under the administration of Chancellor Mary Joyce Z. Guinto-Sali of MSU-TCTO.

 The Summa Cum Laude reveals her secrets in achieving her dreams and excelling in Western education. 

 “Diligence, perseverance, prayers, and faith in Allah were my secrets. I was not the confident and intelligent type of student. As a matter of fact, I considered myself inferior. However, instead of envying others, I focused on myself, my dreams, while holding on to my college mottos: "Success only comes to those who work hard for it" and "Just do your best and Allah will do the rest." That's why, I always did my best in everything and of course with prayers to Allah. Diligence and perseverance are indeed one of the keys to success, well for me. Because with these, one becomes unstoppable even amidst hurdles. On the other hand, prayers and faith in Allah are everything. We may be unstoppable when it comes to wanting successes in life, but if Allah does not will it, nothing will happen. That's why I constantly asked Allah for help and guidance during my college journey; I always prayed and asked Him that may whatever I was working for will be mine. And indeed Allah is the best listener and disposer of all affairs. Alhamdulillah, I got what I worked hard and prayed for. Another thing that I consider as a secret is doing things ahead of time. Whenever there's a task given to us, I worked on it right away. I didn't want to make it wait until the deadline is near. 

 Asked what are her advices to young Muslims in today's generation who want to excel academically, she states that:

 Theodore Roosevelt said, "Believe you can and you are halfway there." Thus, my advice to them is to always believe they can, and that Allah is the best to seek for guidance and help. I was not an academic achiever from kinder to Junior High School. That's why, when I became an honor student in Senior High, I hardly believed it myself because from grade school to junior high, I was always on the end of the rope, among those who are last in class. However, it occurred to me that to achieve something does not require you to be an achiever from your childhood. From kinder to Junior high, with all the modesty aside, I didn't take my studies seriously. I didn't even thought of becoming an honor student. Then that big turn happened in Senior High and I believe it was also Allah's plan. Thus, what I can advise others is to believe in themselves. There's nothing shameful in trying. If you think it's too late and hopeless, think otherwise. Nothing is ever late and hopeless as long as one breathes. It maybe that you didn't push a little harder. It maybe that you didn't try a little better. Try. And when trying, do not forget to ask Allah for help and guidance. When trying, try with perseverance and diligence. Work hard and smart and do best. Then when you achieved something, always be grateful to Allah and be humble. Apart from that, when you are in a position to help a friend or someone, do not hesitate to lend your hand. Because Allah helps those who help others. Allah will help you in your success, Inshaa Allah. 



 Ms. Nuruddin also shared her future plans after college. 

 Some says that I should look for a job first before I take the LET. However, I have already enrolled in Carl Balita Review Center (CBRC). After college, at first, I planned to look for a job. However, I changed plan. Now I am after the review for March 2023 LET because I want to start establishing a career by being a licensed professional first (Inshaa Allah.) I want to become a teacher and I want to practice the profession with the license to teach. Inshaa Allah, if I passed the LET, I will then look for a job. I put all my affairs in Allah's care. 

Her definition of success is:

For me, success depends on what aspect of life we look at it from. It can be a person, a thing, or a situation. It can be a feeling of accomplishment, fulfillment, and happiness. It can be the "Alhamdulillah" and "Finally" after long endeavors and hard work – a well-recompensed efforts. It can be anything that makes me happy and makes my family proud of me.

 She also wants to share a message to her fellow young Tawi-Tawians. 

 Contentment is a virtue but let us not be contented of having less WHEN there's a possibility and opportunity for us to have more. Allah gives us a chance everyday. Let us always take that chance, everyday, to create possibilities and open opportunities. If it's poverty that hinders us, think that there are a lot of now professionals and successful people who were once just like us. How many fellow Tawi-Tawians whose names were heard across our seas? How many fellow Tawi-Tawians who were once like us but are now successful in their lives? Those people worked so hard. Nothing comes from nothing. Success costs us something and the least it costs us to work (hard for it.) Take poverty not as a hindrance but as an impetus. 

Sometimes, we think that our dreams are too high for us and are impossible. But, true as the day and night, nothing is impossible to Allah. We just have to have two faiths. Faith in ourselves that we can and faith in Allah that nothing is impossible. No dream or achievement is too big and too high for someone who believes in himself and has Allah in his life. If things don't work our ways and expectations, do not be frustrated. It might be Allah's redirection. We plan and Allah also plans and He is the best of planners. It might be that it's not yet your time or something better is in reserve for you. Success is also a matter of time Allah's perfect timing. Others may get ahead of us but that doesn't mean we will not arrive at the same destination towards success. Life is a journey, not a race and everyone of us has our own pace. Just move forward. When we stumble and fall, get up. And when we are getting farther and farther ahead in life, let us always look back. 

 Fellow Tawi-Tawians, let us reach for stars and keep our feet rooted to the ground.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form